Creating a Bucket List

I always thought this was kind of a cheesy idea, as if I was so much more spontaneous than to have to write down cool things I wish I could do. Why don't people just do what they want to do, I thought. Then, I created my own. 50 things I would like to do before I die. I realized that many of these things stem from childhood or, perhaps, were things that I could have taken the opportunity to do many times over had I admitted to myself that it was worth it. I have been cheating myself out of experiences like camping, building something like a piece of furniture or a tree house, going dog sledding etc. etc..
It was also really awesome to think back about some of the awesome stuff I've done, like sky-diving, zip-lining, running marathons, touring Italy alone for 2 weeks. All of the out of the ordinary things that have made my life well-lived.
I am realizing that I like studying business because it is about your personal brand of creativity and taking risks. In a sense, this is the bucket list as well.

In response to the prompt, I feel that Randy Pausch was able to accomplish most of his childhood dreams because he was raised in an environment where that was encouraged. I will never forget his advice, that if your child wants to paint the walls of their room, let them! "Don't worry about the resale value of the house," he said. Wonderful council. I would have loved to have had more of that in my childhood.
I feel that dreaming is the best use of our imagination. When we dream we don't necessarily conform to what seems possible. We go beyond and we see ourselves doing it. It could be described as a type of exercise for the mind because it opens more doors and turns on more lights. When we stop a child from dreaming, or we restrict ourselves from fantasizing about a possible future, we are keeping our minds within the walls made up of our own false ideas of who we are and what we are capable of doing.
One of my childhood dreams, silly as this is going to sound, was to be the man of the house. I used to play house by myself and I always imagined that I had a wife and kids. I did this over and over. I would go off to work, do brave things, come home and check in, show the family the fruits of my labor, and would be off again on another solo-mission or adventure. I still remember the exact moment, I was so into my play and suddenly I stood straight up and the thought flashed into my mind with blinding brightness, I said, "Wait a minute...I'm not going to have a wife. I'm going to be the wife". I felt my world crumble. It's comical now, but my childhood dream was to be the man. Now, do I think I can accomplish this. No, not literally. But, I think it was about more than that. I think I had a poor understanding about what the roles of a man and a woman were supposed to be and what that actually meant. Having grown and matured a great deal since then, I am more excited to bear and raise children than anything. However, I do know that honoring the adventurer in me is worthwhile. For that, I am studying business and preparing to make my mark in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building a puzzle

Here I am

Men's hearts will fail them